HELPFUL MOVING CHECKLIST
MONTH PRIOR TO MOVE
- Change your address with the post office.
- Change your address with the IRS.
- Hire a moving company or rent a moving vehicle.
- Transfer or get copies of medical records (and school records if you have children).
- Get referrals from your current doctor for new doctors in the neighborhood you’ll be moving to.
- Update your insurance policies (home, auto, and so on).
- Check with your insurance company to see if your belongings are covered during the move.
- Cancel your plans with cable, telephone, newspaper, lawn, and home security companies.
- Change your address with magazine and newspaper subscriptions and creditors.
WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVE
- Cancel utility service for the day after your move date.
- Purchase packing supplies (boxes, tape, markers, etc.).
- Make travel arrangements on moving day and any special arrangements for small children and/or pets.
- Start packing, boxing items systematically and labeling them accordingly.
- If you can, type out a list of what general items are in each box so you have a master list.
1 WEEK PRIOR TO MOVE
- Confirm reservation with moving company or rental truck company.
- Gather and set aside important documents (don’t pack these—carry them with you during the move).
- Transfer prescriptions to your local pharmacy.
- Close/transfer bank accounts (if switching banks) and order checks with your new address.
- Send out change of address cards to friends, relatives, neighbors, organizations, and so on.
- Return items that don’t belong to you (movies, books, and so on).
- Clean! (appliances, carpet, walls, and so on).
DAY BEFORE MOVE
- Take out cash to give as tips to the movers (if you hired).
- Buy bottles of water for you and anyone helping you.
- Pack the last of your items and leave out one small suitcase for your pajamas and toiletries.
AFTER YOU’VE MOVED
- Change your address with DMV— update driver’s license and plates (if moving out of state). Allow about two weeks for arrival.
- Change your address with your employer.